You’ve seen the reference a few times, “back to basics,” but what exactly does that mean? Think back to Grandma’s kitchen. Remember the smells of her homemade soup, eggs and bacon on the griddle, helping her chop the vegetables for Sunday night dinner. When we talk about basics we mean just that. Real, good, whole foods. Not food from a box, an ingredient list you can’t pronounce, or something so far away from what it started as it is unrecognizable. Fueling our bodies with real food, not processed Frankenfood is one of the most important foundations for good health and long term wellness.
Looking beyond the basics and into our ancestry we see great reasons to model our diet (food intake, not weight loss) on tradition-100 years old is good, 1000 great, and 100,000 or more even better. Before Doritos, soybean oil, Little Debbie snacks, and Coca-Cola of course, but also looking further back in time to our hunter gatherer ancestors and their nutrition. This dietary practice is often referred to as a Paleolithic (Paleo) or Primal approach. Focusing on the bulk of your food intake from grass fed, pastured or wild caught animal protein sources, fresh in season fruits and vegetables, healthy unprocessed fats like olive oil, avocados, olives and nuts. Replicating the dietary intake of our ancestors has been shown to eliminate, or drastically reduce the diseases of our generation; obesity and diabetes. We like to think about foods belonging in two categories: foods that make us more healthy, and foods that make us less healthy.
What’s On Your Plate
- Animal protein, beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, fish, shellfish, and eggs
- All the vegetables you can fit on your plate, with starchy veggies in moderation
- Fruit with some moderation when fat loss is a goal
- Healthy fats for satiety
What We Avoid
- Processed foods
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Legumes (gasp, aren’t they good for me?)
- Grains (yes even whole grains)
- Traditional dairy products…there’s room for discussion about local raw dairy in moderation.
Clinical Nutrition – Lancaster PA
Science Based Lancaster Pa Nutrition is about evaluating your body’s nutrition needs based on clinical blood tests. This process is about testing, not guessing! This set of test gives our nutrition professionals the ability to objectively measure your nutrition needs.
Early Detection Leads to Early Nutrition Correction: Nutrition related health problems can be identified by blood testing long before symptoms can start causing alarm. Blood tests when read properly, can show that you are moving to a serious disease, such as cancer, diabetes, liver, heart, or many other diseases.
Detailed Analysis and Reporting: With science based Lancaster Pa nutrition you will receive a functional report containing the following:
- Comprehensive laboratory analysis, documenting current diseases and highlighting potential diseases in process.
- Problems identifies by color-coded nutrtion report, highlighting potential trouble areas.
- Tests results and symptoms linked to life choice decisions or medication side effects causing an imbalanced body system.
- Recommendation of necessary changes to nutrition, lifestyle and supplements.
Clinical Lab Analysis: Our Lancaster PA nutrition professionals offer a scientifically objective style to nutrition and healthcare. Problems can appear in the blood significantly earlier than actually feeling symptoms.